Thursday, August 16, 2007

The first of countless crying jags

Driving home from work today, a complete exhausted wreck, Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" comes on the radio:

"We'll be singing
When were winning
We'll be singing

I get knocked down,
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down..."

I hadn't heard it in years! I started to laugh, then I started to cry and laugh. It's such a perfect song, for one day left of the most incredible job I've never had.

Some divinity stepped in and rescued the couch. The couch now resting safely in someone's garage in Oakland. She even had a truck, the willingness to use it and the upper body strength to help me get it to the top of the stairs. The neighbor boys then stepped in and offered to help.
The long and short of it is, I'll be on the hotline to Blessed Queen St. Jadwiga on her behalf every night. I was having a really, really hard time parting with it. Believe it or not, it was much harder for me to part with the couch than the wing chair. I was looking at it this afternoon, thinking, 'I've done a lot of dreaming on that couch."

A. and W. were supposed to come by at 4 and help. A. showed up at 5:30, after I got ONE curler in my hair:

"Fool, y'all hella late! The furniture is gone!"
"What's on your head?"

W. showed up at 7:30:
"Fool, y'all hella late! The furniture is gone!"
"My homie's cutlass got rear ended."

There's no more furniture in my house. So W. and I took some coffee down to the armchairs by the trashcans. He, sporting an 8" Mohawk and a wifebeater and some chains; yours truly wearing sandals, athletic shorts and an oversized shirt, with curlers. Yeah, I've got your "American Gothic" right here, baby.

I should be cleaning my house, but I'm too damn tired. My body hurts in previously undiscovered places, and I burst into tears over toasting waffles. Brushing my teeth will require concentration and dedication to task. I really, really hate that tomorrow has to come. Know that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the love of everyone's gawd, Josephine "HP"
Southpick, stop cryin' puleeze. Want to see that big smile and whatnot...remember, it's all over oh, right about 3pm today...its 2:22 right now...me know you'll be having plenty o' time for pie now....you-know-who