Saturday, August 18, 2007

Family is one thing

a family that adopts you is twice as good. I'm very, very lucky to be part of two of them. One in Sacramento and one in Pittsburg. Pittsburg first.

It's the type of thing, where I can be out for a walk or driving home, and I'll see Andrea's kids on the way from school, and say "Tell your Mom to call me," and they'll tell her within 15 minutes. Or I can walk in the house, and say "Where's yer Ma?" and they'll offer me some food while they go get her from whatever corner of the city she happens to be. If you live in Pittsburg, you know Andrea.

Truly, her house is a Real Estate Agent's nightmare and an equity investment without end. Every square inch is crammed with children, food for the children, food being cooked, cousins, cousin's friends, football equipment and a large camper that comes and goes mysteriously. The floor sags, the couches are always occupied, the garage requires mountain equipment, and the Sacred Heart of Mary picture above the mantle is crammed with Birth and Death announcements, pictures.

Tonight I happened to get in a few minutes before her, while she was out buying Heineken. Her kids (High School age and older) were sitting around the table bantering when I came through the screen door.

"Hey", I said, "Is yer Ma in?"
"Hey, its JOSIE!" they all said, one daughter offering me some chicken. I tasted it two beers later- her daughter has some skills in the kitchen, and it wasn't the beer.

So they all sat around and made small talk with me for 15 minutes before Andrea stagged in with a case of beer. Andrea and I proceeded to demolish the case of beer while navigating two grandchildren, four children, a case of soda, one zombie like husband who periodically reappeared, timed sessions on MySpace and the rest of the chicken dish. We talked about the people we used to work with, who live in the area but moved on to better paying jobs long ago. I helped her with some minor computer problems. This was all without moving our butts from the chairs.

Her kids weren't aware I was leaving for Kuwait, but were really impressed and happy for me when they found out. Genuinely supportive. It took the edge off the day just sitting and talking with a beer, which is how it's supposed to be, I understand.

No comments: