Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tears of absolute JOY

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6930285.stm

Yes, yes, there is a reason...

Way back when I was a average to middlin sized Josie (I bypassed "small" at 8), I decided that I wanted to be "Indiana Josie", and kick butt on the way to restoring antiquities to their rightful museums.

Ok, I wanted to be an archaeologist. Still do, but you know...

Along with Marcus Aurelius, my other hero is Alexander the Great. I don't really give a **** about the scholarly discussions (this is rare); any guy who could convince some thousands of soldiers to walk from the Mediterranean to India knew how to lay down the smack. So to speak.

I was actually offered a job in Pakistan. I really, really really wanted to take it. For no other reason than to see the final resting place of Bucephalus, his horse. Yes, I was willing to beat away roaches the size of ironing boards to see the final resting place of a general's horse who died some 2500 years ago. What did you miss in that post about me and the chair?

Anyway, a friend stepped in, and offered to break my legs before I even picked up the ticket. We had a good natured discussion about it, where he repeated his offer to break my legs several more times and then call come of his friends to help. I compromised on Kuwait. Periodically, I get, "Aren't you glad you ain't there?" emails from him with a news story attached.

But now! My problem is solved! Joy! Joy! I will have my Alexander the Great fix (and figure out how to get to Bucephalus).

Now, I will go back to daydreaming about the Library in Alexandria...

No comments: