Sunday, August 5, 2007

Being Sick

has taken on a whole, new, frightening dimension....

I mentioned in one of my first posts that I got sick in March. Sick wasn't the word- the best way I can describe it is in comparison. I've been in bed with a sinus infection since Friday evening. The very hollow boned, "I can't do anything but rest" feeling was enough to bring me to panic stricken tears and flashbacks of the hospital.

But why move halfway around the world, to people I don't know, to risk being sick again?

I have to move. I'd be drawn back to my work if I stayed any closer.

And forget jeeps and shotguns. I'm teaching 50 feet from the beach, in Kuwait City. They'll be expecting a professional woman in her thirties, and wedging myself into that niche is the only way I'm going to rest and study. Sure I'll travel, sure I'll have adventures. My body isn't going to be subjected to the stress and physical abuse it has been for the last two years, though.

Meantime, it's pack a box, then lay down for 20 minutes; spackle some holes, then lay down for 20 minutes. Heels and skirts will be heaven compared to this.

No comments: