Thursday, July 19, 2007

A little history

on how I got to this point...
...or as one of my more un-Reconstructed co-workers put it after two shots, "Why the **** would you fly to ****ing ****? They'll sell you into ____! You'll be eating shaved camel ****s!"

I have a hard job. No bones about it. Not hard as in, "That's disgusting I'd never do it," though that can be part of it. Hard as in, encountering some of the worst things fate and humanity can visit on the least deserving. Then ignoring it, and teaching Kindergarten. Oh yeah, you have to tweak it here and there. I mean, just pop his eye back in if he pokes it out.

After a year of working 3 out of 4 weekends a month, I got sick. Very sick. In the hospital, 5 spinal taps sick. If you thought one spinal tap was Fun on a Gurney, wait till you get the Intern finding his way around the Your Spinal Cord when you haven't had water for 8 hours.

The point was, I nearly died. Complete with visitations of the Other Side, everything.

And when my loving friends propped me up, wiped my vomit and my behind, with every spoon of broth they poured into me they chanted, "You WILL find another job. You WILL find another job." Then, of course, I puked the broth.

I lost 15 pounds I didn't have to begin with. I went back to work, with cryptic post-it notes on chairs that read JOSIE SIT DOWN. I didn't have a choice- the first day back I was nearly suffocated by 5 students who expected wrestling all at once. So I looked for another job.

Where did I find it? Where else? Craigslist.

No comments: