Thursday, February 19, 2009

S-S-S Slacking

Let me point out right now, this is not a gratuitous "Rub In The Collective Face of the Global Economy" post.

I understand quite clearly that around the world and around me, people with families are scrambling for jobs and food and housing and even some meaning to the global upheaval.

However, I am a teacher. I have been a teacher through the last two economic downturns. I am a Special Needs teacher because I like Special Needs kids more, and I am beginning to believe there really is karma in spades for the line of work I do.

The first year of teaching is ALWAYS the hardest. Always and anywhere. And then you get your groove and move steadily towards either Administration (bleah) or Mentoring where you walk around classrooms and wipe First Year teacher tears. Or as I do, "What you cryin for now 'Crybaby'?"

So. Ten years this year.

If I haven't spelled it out clearly enough: I AM A 'NICHE' TEACHER. I fill a gap very slight on first inspection, but to my administration it is the equivalent of trying to fill in the Mariana Trench with cement, a spoon and two paperclips. So I am very happy to take 200 KD less than I could be getting elsewhere, for a sunny Thursday morning at 11 AM where I can look at the driver and say,

"Where are we going?"
"Hawalli, to pick up_______ from a conference."
"Where's _______?"
"Having Sheesha at Marina Crescent."
"Where's _______?"
"Having Sheesha seaside. We're probably going to Marina Mall after this."

And then, I call my Assistant and ask them to handle the last parent, IF they come in (they didn't). Life can be boooooo-ti-fuuuuuuuuuuullllll...

No comments: