Saturday, January 12, 2008

Coat in the classroom

They said these days would come, and they're here with a vengeance. Bone cold, dry cold, tooth achingly cold. So cold you can't really remember why you wore skirts to work.

The entire school is made from cement, which is miserable and damp in the humidity and miserable and impossible to heat in the cold. It's crept into my knee for the first time ever; I have "Winter Feet" now. Moisturizing hands and elbows is pointless. The heater stays on 24/7, classroom and home. I have my coat, scarf and three layers on underneath while I teach. I made a concession to typing this without gloves on.

I feel like a bit of a weenie- after all, it's only around 38-40 Deg. F. Must be the dry that keeps it feeling colder. That and the wind. However, ever structure in this country is built to catch a breeze and swing it around the room, not keep it out. I made the amazing discovery that my house could reach 20c if I simply kept the curtains shut.

Other news...I made it to Ikea, picked out some frames and got some long deserving art from the Museum of The Warsaw Uprising framed and on the wall. I mean, not the professional stuff that I like, stewing at P & B's house in Sacto, but it will do for the time being.

Saw K. for the first time in...can you believe it? Eleven years. Eleven years! She is still looking her fantabulous self, living her stunning life. It was like moments had passed, not years. Did I also mention that we saw an accident and were rear ended by a bus? Busy weekend.

Ah. Have to put my gloves back on for right now. Not even the keyboard is keeping them warm any more.

No comments: