Friday, July 27, 2007

Feelings make you really tired

And I'm very tired.

I understand that Baldur, in Norse mythology, was invincible except for the innocuous looking miseltoe. The gods were playing a game of "What Bounces Off Our Buddy"( rocks, branches, small appliances) and someone threw a sprig of miseltoe. Sharpened.

The world went dark. Baldur went to the seat of Hel- I'm not sure what happened next, I was in sigle digits the last time I read that story.

The lesson here, is that the most humble object that you look at every day often hides life and death power. Perception is everything- what appears invincible is not. A small plant with pretty flowers is our undoing, frequently.

I walked out of my classroom and threatened to leave campus for the first time, ever. With a couple of past collagues, this was a weekly (if not daily) event. But less than 4 weeks from the end, and I did it for the first time. Someone threw a sprig of miseltoe, sharpened, after trying for months with rocks, branches and small appliances.

I'm not invincible, and I've never claimed to be. Keeping your buttons well camoflauged is not the same as being invincible. Achilles had a heel, but he also wore hightops.

I think more than anything, I'm truly shocked at the lengths this person is going to, to try hurting me. Okay, fine. Take your best shot. If you have to throw punches, wear yourself out. I don't understand why, but if you feel it's necessary...

Maybe I'm just tired. But it baffles me, and not in curious way I'd like to investigate. It scares me. Because not in the darkest times of my life did I ever wish this person ill. I dislike dischord and disharmony between people, and I don't raise my voice. I don't like disrespect or unkindness, so I go out of my way to be respectful and kind.

Why this would trigger a passionate volley of unmitigated angst and venom, beats the shit out me. I'm going to find a tree.

No comments: